Friday, June 13, 2008

My Guilty Pleasure

I am aware that America is getting fatter by the minute. I have read Fast Food Nation. I have seen Super Size Me -- twice. And, I watch the Today's Show every morning where nutritionist Joy Bauer instructs American moms' on ways to get their children to eat more nutritous options and lead more active lifestyles.

I am aware of all these things, and yet on nights like tonight I head to what I fondly call "my dirty little secret". Out my apartment door, to the right 1.5 blocks and another right half way down the block, and there she is... Subway.

There is something about the sandwiches there that cause me to head there at the slightest twinge of a hangover. A night of drinking, equals a Subway turkey-and-provolone-with-all-the-veggies-on-whole-wheat-bread... and sometimes toasted! Its the best taste to me, and I savor it like you would not believe.

Tonight, while Josh is playing basketball, I ran to my dirty little secret, and got a sandy to go, and sat in Washington Square Park and listened to the local musicians strum away... while ranch dressing and pickles trickled down my face and threatened to ruin my white t-shirt. I didn't care though. I was in absolute heaven!

Now I realize, given the other fastfood options, that my choice is not the worst. But there is something about knowing I am indulging in "fast food" that makes it seem a little worse than it is, and makes "my dirty little secret" so much fun to keep!

No comments:

Post a Comment