Wednesday, February 27, 2008

After the Break-up

After a span of 3-months, I am in a very difficult position that any other woman in Manhattan would find equally difficult. Given the split of me and my hairdresser in early December, I am in need of a haircut and no where to go. And this is not just any kind of relationshp... I have lived in New York for 5 1/2 years, and have been seeing the same hairdresser for 5 of those years... This is not something easily replaced, and not something I trust with just anyone.

I have simple hair. Its straight. The color is 100% natural and doesn't require any work, but i do like what the sun does in the summer. Its easy to manage, so why did Alma (my dresser of 5 years) find me and my hair so difficult?

And I guess the answer is as simple as my hair. We didn't get each other.

I could go in for a cut with a picture, full-on description of what I want, and a week later I would be headed back in a frustrated manner wanting her to fix the damage.

Likewise, from my perspective, she used her "haute" salon as a place to gab about her nights out, dating Michael Jordan (he's old right? and, um, married?) Or a fab party that I was not invited too, but she and her Armenian princesses were going. wearing ridiculous costumes... WHILE SHE WAS BUTCHERING MY SIMPLISTIC HAIRSYLE INTO SOMETHING I DID NOT WANT.

So, now I feel like a girl of my mid-20's (which is no longer the case =0) wondering what is next for me. I remember feeling this way about guys when relationships would end, and the potential for what would come up next. But with my hair, I am less excited about the potential "excitement".

I simply want someone to get me and my boring hair. Is that really too much to ask?

1 comment:

  1. i just want to know why it took you five years to cut the cord, if it was always so much trouble? i've wondered that before...

    ReplyDelete