Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I've learned its hard to walk in snowboots...

If you have been paying attention to the weather, you know its snowing in New York. It snowed all day, and for the first time when it comes to foot attire, I was prepared. Leaving work and headed up to Columbia for my TA position, I coasted down King Street jumping in every puddle and snow mound I could find. Snowboots are great for energetic feats like this. One block later, I am on the subway and headed up to 116th street... or so I thought. The train decides to go express at 110th, but no worries -- me and my trusty snowboots have it made. Seven blocks to class and in less than 15 minutes, can I do it?

As typical with most New York subway scenes on a rainy day, people were everywhere upon exiting the station. The pointy things on umbrellas seemed aimed at my eyeballs. Only one path had been carved in the snow leading up the subway steps, and everyone going up or down was headed for that way. It was a zoo. And the walk up to 117th street was a sluggish one...one that was not made in 15 minutes, but 20...Because these silly boots that are supposed to keep me dry kept me from being able to walk straight or very fast.

Its this time every year, my sights turn south and I mentally start scheming up a plan to take me to Florida... permanently. I remember thinking this in February 2003, and five years later I am thinking the same thing. I want sunshine. I want warmth. I want to wear fun clothes, and forget there was ever a thing called a snowboot...

This becomes my cry every year this time, and I know that come February 2009, I will be sitting in this same chair, watching the snow fall and writing the same thing.

I am not ready to leave New York, and maybe I will never be "ready". There is something about living here that makes life worth waiting for, more so than any other city I have ever lived or been. Waiting for the subway instead of taking a taxi because you know in the end you will get there faster and save $10. Waiting for the Chinese laundry around the corner to wash my clothes because I know they will do a better job and its really no cheaper if I did it myself. Waiting for my sushi dinner to arrive because I know its better than most super-spicy concoction I can create in my 4' X3' kitchen. And waiting for the snow to melt into spring, because I know once it does my love affair with this terrific city will continue... and my struggle with snowboots will be a thing of the past. Well, at least until next year...

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday's high was 69 degrees here. I wore short sleeves and then ran at 7pm in shorts & t-shirt. Just so ya know... :)

    ReplyDelete