Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cooking up a New Plan

This weekend started with a huge disappointment caused by the wintry weather that a city like New York is known for: Snow, ice, sleet, "wintry mix", freezing temperatures. For the first time in my 5 1/2 years, my office was closed for a snow day. Normally, such announcements would have excited me beyond belief. This Friday, this was the last thing I wanted to hear.

I was headed to Atlanta this weekend to see my family and watch the progress of the ever-growing Ramsey (aka Babe Ramz). I had a lot invested in this weekend -- emotionally, time-wise, money, - and my favorite - plans. With school/work closed for the day, I knew I was not getting to Atlanta anytime soon, and at 1PM Delta cancelled my flight.

This decision led to something I never find in my fast-paced life -- a weekend with nothing to do. I now had a blank canvas interms of my weekend plans, and I was not going to let such moments go to waste!

Quickly visions of painting the living room sprang to mind, as well as trying out some new recipes in my newly organized cookbook, and maybe having another couple over for dinner, and now I could get to my annual Oscar Party, and now I can train for the 1/2 marathon as scheduled, and now I can get focused on planning for Paris. My mind was in over-drive! A day with nothing to do is the best treasure to a super-planner like me... and I was determined to make it the best!

As Saturday came along, I was up early scanning the recipe books and picking out food combinations that should be pleasing to most, and making my shopping list (lists are another favorite if mine). 90 minutes later I returned home, loaded down with groceries for a feast, a gallon of paint, and an accepted dinner invitation by my cousin and her boyfriend.

By 3PM the living room was sporting a new shade of green, the pork tenderloin was marinating, and I was off to the gym for a training session. The day was going just as I planned.

8PM arrived and the little dinner party began. Dinner was a success. Fun was had by all.

Sometimes a change of plan is the best thing in the world. Expectations are dialed down. Creativity comes into play. Anything becomes possible. These possibilities are what make things, and life, more. And I feel that I got more out of my weekend by an adjusted itenirary. Granted, seeing my family would have been excellent, but given the situation, I made the best of it. And at the end of the week, or the end of the day, its a great thing to be able to say... about your plan, about yourself, and about your life.

1 comment:

  1. how did the dinner go with the smell of fresh paint? :)
    we missed you but can't wait to see you next time. the gym dog meet was fun, but not as fun without you guys!

    ReplyDelete