Friday, March 20, 2009

Ode to my Mother

From my mother, I have learned many things. Having high-expectations of myself is one, having high-expectations of others is another, having high-expectations of men is something in a whole other ballpark.

I do think she taught me well, though, as when I am operating by her/my standards there is very little bullshit involved. It either is or it isn't and we go from there.

My mom is one tough-cookie, and through her own situations in her life she has made herself what she is... super-strong, passionate, and multi-talented, not to mention an excellent mother and awesome grandmother.

I love hearing stories about her growing up. How she broke in her own pony (Apache), how she would make money from the neighborhood kids by charging two coke bottles to ride Apache, how she tried to put out a field fire that she started with a mason-jar of water, how she was a tomboy turned Homecoming Queen, who made all of her own clothes including her wedding dress... and many years later earned a black-belt in karate. My mom is amazing. I don't think there is anything that if she wanted to learn how to do, she couldn't.

I can only hope that I can leave the impression she has on me, on my own sons/daughters... God knows if I don't, Nama Deb will! =o)

But getting back to the point of this...

In my time as her daughter, there have been many things that she has taught me that most men -- and people in general-- don't know how to do. As she would say "that's just unacceptable"... and I tend to agree.

So, since I am in a list making mode, here are the things my mother has taught me that everyone should know how to do:

1) Drive a stick-shift ( ie 5 or 6 speed).

2) Ask for directions.

3) Iron.

4) Be willing to take the time to teach someone how to do something new.

5) Make a 3 or 4 course meal with fresh ingredients -- preferably from the back yard.

6) Bait a fishing hook.

7) Know which plants are poison ivy and stay away.

8) Build a fire -- both in and out of doors.

9) Manage a budget.

10) Arrive on time, and call if you are running late.

11) Give thoughtful and meaningful gifts.

12) Be creative.

13) Dare to wander out on a limb... that is where the fruit is.

14) Plan a party for 30 and have it go off without a hitch.

15) Know the value of your own time, and be selective when spending it.

16) Take care of someone else.

17) Be considerate/chivalrous.

18) Wash a car... and wax it.

19) Plant a plant and have it last longer than a year.

20) Sand and refinish furniture.

21) Don't be afraid to tell someone your expectations of them, but in doing so, don't lower your expectations of yourself and your own life.

22) Live life outside of the box. Or in it... but own your decisions and be happy.

23) Never be too old to climb a tree, swing or jump on a trampoline.

24) Believe that you can have any and everything you want... thinking/believing truly does make it so.

25) Don't forget to say thank you, especially when you are thankful for having someone in your life.


Mom, I am so thankful I am your daughter. And since its Mother's Day weekend in Spain, I figure why not celebrate in America too? Here's to you!

1 comment:

  1. Paige, I have just read and am sitting here with tears (happy, touched ones) rolling down my face. I'm also SMILING!

    Thank you Paige -

    I Love You, Mom

    ReplyDelete