Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Leftovers

As January began, and I became more and more aware of my spending and where I could cut corners, I started to notice there are lots of 'extras' just hanging out at my house. Lots of little shampoo bottles and lotion samples from trips I have taken. Lots of wine and beer from events I have hosted. Lots of books that have not even been open. And lots of things to DO that I never had time for in 2011 (ie, jigsaw puzzles, movies, pictures to post, bins to clean out, yadda yadda yadda)... And I won't even get started on the miscellaneous food items that have been purchased and are now just collecting dust in the cupboard.

It sounds like much of my 2011 was spent hoarding up for the winter!

Now, 'that winter' is here and I am living off leftovers. Left over food items, left over lotion, left over projects, and in someway, leftover dreams. Things that haven't happened yet...but will in 2012. All the things that have been waiting their turn -- yes, even the jar of marinated red peppers that have been patiently waiting -- are going to see their light of day if they exist in Suite 213. I am using up the excess, and creating room for something more.

Even random gifts I have received but never used... an hour massage for my 33rd birthday? A facial from last Christmas? Gift cards to my favorite stores? All getting used.

As a child, I was great at saving for a rainy day and it seems in someways this trait has carried over to adult hood. But what I am saving for? What is any of this stuff doing but collecting dust? Its time to put the things I wanted at one point to good use, or get rid of them.

At some point, I will leave this apartment I now live in. The idea of boxes of past projects, books never read or travel toiletries exiting this space without being used seems silly. So its not going to happen.

Its time to use up what needs using up, and start clearing the space for something new. I know change is around the corner, and I intend to be ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment