Sunday, January 1, 2012

A New Page

Happy New Years!

For the first time in what feels like forever, I am going to spend the first night of a new year in my own bed. And I am quite happy about that.

Given my ever-wandering spirit, I have spent the past New Years Day nights in random continents, far-flung cities: From Orlando, to Athens, to New Orleans, to DC, to New York, to Buenos Aires, to Rio, to Atlanta, to Belize, to San Juan to Jax Beach. Traveling is my greatest passion, seeing the world my MOST favorite thing to do, while writing about my journey along the way. And as a result, I have always taken the week between Christmas and New Years to recharge and see something new... which always put me starting the year somewhere else, but never in my space, never at home. But tonight, I will fall asleep in Cartersville, GA, the place I call for home now. This is a much needed first, and one I chose because I wanted to. This new year calls for that, and the sequence of events lets me know I made the right choice.

To commemorate the end of 2011 and the beginning of a new year, I followed last year's original plan and spent the last few days of a wonky year in Jax Beach visiting my dearest of friends, Sue, and one of my favorite people in the world, Sarah. What a truly wonderful time away.

Low-key, beachy, wine-ie, and sun-filled. That's how Ilike to live my life, and that's how this year began. If what they say is true about the first day of the year being how you spend the rest of the year then I am quite pleased with the outlook for 2012...

From being asleep early (by 1AM -- not bad for a NYE!) rising early, hitting the beach for a gorgeous sunrise followed by coffee with Sue before hitting the road (traveling), eating a traditional New Years meal of collard greens and black-eye-peas, and spend the evening with my family, organizing myself for a fresh week and ultimately writing, which is HIGH on the priority list for 2012.

If my year can mirror today, I will be a happy woman at the end of 2012.

There is something so extremely wonder-feeling about following what is written in your heart. Living out the journey we are called to feels like poetry in action. Timing becomes profound. The sequence of events could be coordinated by Alvin Ailey they make so much sense. And my first day of 2012 has been just that...even though it might seem silly or mundane to some.

In fact, to many ts probably downright moronic what I find beautiful in life. From watching the seagulls play on the beach this morning... the sudden surprise of chilly waves running through my toes...having an asthma attack at 6AM that caused me to be up and at 'em in the first place! It all led to one of the most beautiful days I have lived. Even driving 6 hours from Jax Beach to Atlanta became a musical adventure as I rocked out to 'RENT' from Broadway and really did almost 'Defy Gravity' with Galinda and Elzeba. (yep! I was the animated driver you love to see in your rearview mirror at stop lights.)

When I left Jax Beach this morning, after morning coffee with Sue at 'Shelbys' followed by big hugs, I had tears streaming down my face, simply because I was so damn happy. I've been in a weepy state all day just knowing how beautiful this year can be if I allow it, and then the year next, and the year next, and so on and so on.

Life - like anything - is all about choice. We choose to follow a dream or not; give into the 'shoulds' of life or not; to believe in ourselves or not. And ultimately listen to our hearts or not.

My favorite author, Paulo Coehlo, has a quote that is so fitting for today:

"Your heart is always there. So you might want to listen to what it has to say."

And with that, I raise my glass of club soda, and say "Here's to you 2012! May it be a heart-ful journey to the very end."

No comments:

Post a Comment