Monday, January 2, 2012

Who says N-O has to be negative?

In typical New Years fashion, I started the year off with a page in my journal dedicated to all the things I am going to do in 2012. My new year's resolutions were nothing fancy or probably any different than what the average person writes down -- get fit, be more organized, put more money in my savings account, work more efficiently, see more of the world, etc, etc. Its a page-long list focused on all the positive outcomes I hope for the year. (Yes, Paige, everyone knows what resolutions are...)

Yet, as I went through my first "non-weekend" day of 2012, with my resolutions at the forefront of thought, there were many things I was NOT going to do that would allow the things I want to come to fruition.

Travel and learn a new language? That means we are NOT spending money on more dresses (I think I have enough), NOT skipping Spanish class, NOT wasting money on the daily splurges that seem like a 'treat' (ie., Starbucks, as wouldn't it better to enjoy a Cafe con Leche at a cafe in Segovia than to dash in and out for an oversized coffee on Main Street?).

Follow my dreams and write more? That means we are NOT going to be scared that dreams can't or won't happen. That means we are not seeking out back-up plans. That means its NOT just something I talk about, but something I do. (If you build it, they will come)

Fit more comfortably into my skinny jeans? That means we are NOT eating late at night, NOT skipping the gym, or over-indulging in my favorite four food groups (cheese, wine, ice cream, and anything that sounds French).

The list went on and on, until I had so many things I was NOT going to do in 2012. (What a year this was going to be!)

As I paged through the NOTs, I realized very few of those things on the No-No list were things I was actually going to miss (minus the occasional trip to Starbucks or a great evening with wine and cheese). Somehow knowing what I was NOT going to do, allowed me to see and believe all the things I was capable of doing in the next 364 days. Saying 'no' wasn't being negative, but focusing on the positive for the things I (we) truly want. Saying 'N-O' is truly saying 'Y-E-S'.

And if 'N-O' can go to 'Y-E-S', a negative can become a positive, then why can't the worst year of my life be followed by one of the best? It may seem simple, it may seem elementary, but in truth, I think it comes down to M-E. Those two little letters are all that separate a N-O from a Y-E-S. It truly does come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment